Learn how to do proper push ups. Presented by Real Jock Gay Fitness Health & Life.
Good trainers love push-ups because they work the entire chest and triceps while also training coordination and stamina. Best of all, push-ups can be done just about anywhere. Push-ups are often used in advanced combination exercises like the squat thrust with push-up, so learning the proper form is essential.
Position yourself on the floor in a prone position (face down) with your legs together and extended straight behind you and your arms slightly more than shoulder-width apart. Support yourself on your toes and your hands, with your palms down on the ground. Your arms should be straight but without locked elbows. Your spine should be neutral with no arch.
1. From the starting position, slowly bend your arms and descend toward the floor. Keep your neck in line with your spine throughout the movement; do not jut your chin out towards the floor at the bottom of the movement. Stop when your elbows are at a 90-degree angle.
2. Reverse position and push back up to the starting position. Do not lock your elbows at the top of the movement.
3. Without pausing at the top, immediately descend into your next rep.
Starter Push-ups Variation
If you find standard push-ups too challenging to do initially with proper form, begin with starter push-ups. Starter push-ups are similar to standard push-ups, except that you elevate your upper body by placing your hands on a flat bench, raised Smith machine bar, or other raised surface. This takes some of the weight off of your chest and triceps and allows you to build strength using proper form.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades