There are many variations of the side crunch exercise. This exercise works the oblique muscles. The lateral flexors of the spine (quadratus lumborum) are also involved in this exercise. The obliques are commonly referred to as the "love handles." They are used to assist with rotation of the torso. They are also instrumental during abdominal contractions.
Start by lying sideways on a workout mat. Your knees should be together and slightly bent. Place your bottom hand on your oblique muscle. The top hand should go comfortably behind your head. Next, contract your oblique muscle by crunching the abs sideways. Exhale as you do so, then return to the starting position and repeat the exercise.
IMPORTANT: Never crank the neck during this exercise.
Lie down on side, knees together. Place bottom hand on oblique. Place top hand behind the neck.
Crunch the obliques to the side. Exhale.
Return to the starting position. Repeat.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades